Thursday, May 12, 2005

My List - Part 1

Contemplating my own list of the best Christian books of the past 105 years, I am first drawn to the standards such as Mere Christianity, Spirit of the Disciplines, and such. But the book which may have most influenced my life is Bill Hybel's Descending Into Greatness. He was able to fully explain the futility of "things" in a way I have not seen or heard, before or since. I actually took steps to reduce my material goals in favor of relational ones. Look for a review here or at The Truth About Everything later this month.

Maybe another major influence would be J. Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible. It took two years to read what J. Vernon tells on the radio in 5 years of daily broadcasts. It was worth every minute.

Already reviewed (see side bar) is the best book ever on marriage. Ed Wheat's work, Love Life for Every Married Couple is a triumph for those who are in any stage of marriage. But it goes beyond the self-help style to define love. The Bible is the greatest book on love ever, but Wheat touched me in a special way with his explanation that love is not an emotion, its a choice. If that is a new idea to you, or if you are unclear at all how it plays out, the paperback is usually under $5.

Come back to this space for more tops on my list, more best of lists from Christian leaders, and hopefully lots of suggestions from you, dear reader.

1 comment:

danielg said...

Mine include:
- Spiritual Authority by Watchman Nee
- From Jerusalem to Iryan Jaya
- Ordering Your Private World by McDonald
- The Master Plan of Evanglism by Coleman
- Addicted to Medocrity by Franky Schaeffer
- The Fight by John White
- Who Switched the Price Tags by Tony Campolo